2009-02-14

You Pinch Me, I Pinch You

Happy Valentines everyone! I'll be sharing with you a Bicol folk song about love. No it's not Sarong Banggi (One Night), but a lesser-known ditty that involves something I dig in love stories: the childhood friends. Below is the version I usually hear being played over the radio back in my childhood. It is also the version included in the square dance medley of Bicol songs. As I did in my previous blog, I have also provided a English translation that can be used to sing along.


Kudot-Kudotan

Kan ako sadit pa, sadit ka pa man,
Nagkarawat kita nin kudot-kudotan.
Kinudot mo ako, kinudot ta ka man,
An simbag mo sako, "luhay-luhaya man."

Haen ka na baya kakawat kong madaya?
An kudot na matarom sakuyang giromdom.
Haen ka na baya kakawat kong madaya?
An kudot-kudotan tighahanap ko ngonyan.


The Pinching Game

When I was a little kid, and you were little too,
We went out and played a simple pinching game
You would go and pinch me, then I would pinch you too
But you'd say in reply, "do it gently, will you?"

O-oh where have you gone my naughty wily playmate?
I still remember it, your piercingly sharp pinch.
O-oh where have you gone my naughty wily playmate?
Now I have been yearning for the good ol' pinching game.

As with most folk songs, the lyrics will vary a lot. The Bicol Wiki provides other lyrics as well as a link to a video. It can be noted that the version above contains subtle sexual innuendos. Indeed, the additional lyrics in the wiki have more blatant references, for instance (with my liberal, sing-able translation):
Duman sa looban, igwang kamposanto,
Na piglulubongan, nin mga angelito.
Mabayad man ako, minsan pa gurano,
Makalubong lamang sakong payo-payo.

There was a li'l alley which had a cemetery
Where the cherub boys had all been buried.
I'd be willing to pay with all of my money
To bury my li'l head down a grave of cherries.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Type. Your language is being analyzed.